Thursday, July 1, 2010

Introduction?... About me and why Hr with Candy?

Be gentle, it is my first blogging post. I feel kinda funny. Like that junior high school kid stepping into their first school dance. Sweaty palms, eyes darting around the room looking for a friendly face, fearing that I will be stuck by the punch bowl with the other dorks... ah, so familiar. Well, here I am. For good or bad, I am venturing into this realm and I am going to enjoy it, damn it! Is that my parent's voice urging me to go through the doors of the gymnasium and into the unknown? "Yes, Dad... I am going"

Me? Well, I am an HR Geek. We use the term "Professional" a lot in our field, but somehow that always makes me feel like a hit-man or much sexier than the world of HR is. I guess there are some people/employees that do see us as "hit-men" or the "angel of death" when it comes to keeping their jobs. But that is a post for another time.

I've been dancing in this world for a long time. Yes, I do remember watching Apollo land on the moon. But I didn't cry as hard when Elvis died as when John Lennon did. So older, but perhaps not old. I know, "slicing the baloney a bit too thin" as one from my past was fond of saying. I have worked HR in retail, education, benefits and not-for-profit theatre. Loved every experience. Learned from every experience. Listened to myself during and after every experience. Listening seems to have lost its appeal over the years. We need to bring it back.

I have great loves in my life... Rick a very hard working man with the heart and soul of a 12 year old who believes that his plate is never too full or there isn't anything that he can't do or try and who loves his family whole heartedly. Rachel my daughter in my heart who by all accounts is the smartest and most creative person I know with energy and dreams that surpass what this world can contain. Sonnet our spoiled princess westi-poo who stole my heart instantly and has nestled herself happily within Rick's heart despite his ranting and stomping about not wanting her. Shadow, our aloof cat with great stubby legs and a motor that sounds like a diesel coming down the road. Plus family and friends... blessed indeed.

For the most part I will ramble, perhaps rant and mostly rave about my experiences and beliefs within the carnival that is HR. Comment, disagree, agree, communicate, support, laugh and share as you desire. I have a great EEO policy!

Oh, why HR with Candy? I believe that every HR office must have candy available for their employees. Along with that candy comes an open door policy. I love having people stop by for a Red Vine or Hershey Mini and sit down and talk with me for a few moments. It is wonderful and amazing what is shared in those few moments. As long as I am an HR Geek/Professional/Manager/Ringleader, there will be candy in my office.

Our house motto - "Love and Serenity"

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your blog! I especially liked the part about me *sic*.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the blog! I love when there is candy around the office!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to have you among our merry band of HR blogging misfits! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post; I'm looking forward to reading more! And now I want some licorice.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great start...can't wait for future candy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the blog! I do sooo miss the days of stopping by for some Jolly Ranchers and good convo :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Next time we get together for some wine/movie/munchies after work, please bring some candy in your purse! Lovin' the blog. No fear, friend.

    ReplyDelete